World #CerebralPalsy Day – October 6, 2018
#WorldCerebralPalsyDay is afoot. Like last year, I am planning to conduct month long events across Palakkad and Shoranur to raise parental awareness on treatment of #CerebralPalsy.
Most of the parents who come for care of their children come late, unfortunately with joint contractures, hip subluxations, alteration in knee mechanics and foot deformities. Aside from these the problems these children have with upper limbs, hands and doing activities.
Many of these children have uncontrolled seizures, terrible difficulties communicating, speaking out their issues apart from ambulation. Ambulation may in fact be least of their issues. This sad fact goes to show how important early referral is and how important it is to enroll the child under a care of a Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Physiotherapist who can then co-ordinate care with their colleagues in Pediatric Orthopedics, Pediatric Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Speech Pathology, Audiology etc ..
Cerebral Palsy care is a great team effort. No part of the team is greater than other, but the role of the General Practitioner / Pediatric Medicine Doctor, Pediatric Physiotherapist is central, at least in India. They determine the sole referral entity, a person with whom the parents spend their maximum time and trust with. They are the ones in whom they confide most of their issues with.
World Cerebral Palsy Day is a wonderful concept to reinforce these simple care giving principles. Parent education and empowerment being central to the cause of care of these children. Like 2017, we are organising activities across the district of Palakkad – in Palakkad town and neaby rural areas and Shoranur town to educate parents and also conduct early detection and intervention camps to identify children who need care.
Activities planned :
- Free medical camps for underpriviliged children
- Special clinics with Gait Analysis
- Funded Orthotic programme for poor children
- Pediatric Physiotherapy advice
- Custom made Wheel Chair fitting
- Parent awareness of Cerebral Palsy – lectures and symposias in rural areas
- Notices and public handouts to improve general awareness
- Involvement of other NGOs , social service organisations to improve public outreach
These activities would be done throughout Ocotober 2018 under aegis of the Cerebral Palsy Clinic at Rajiv Gandhi Cooperative Hospital & Research Centre and ICCONS, Shoranur
Contact Numbers for Clinic bookings and more information:
- Rajiv Gandhi Cooperative Hospital, Kallekkad, Palakkad : 0491-250-9000
- ICCONS, Shoranur, Palakkad : 0466-222-4869
- Contact me : EMAIL